At the end of 2020, we learned that Telegram founder Pavel Durov was considering making some changes to the app to generate revenue to help sustain its growth. The first step in this direction materialized in October 2021 with the addition of advertisements on mass channels; next could be the launch of a rumored paid subscription called “Telegram Premium“.
Although Durov has not talked about a subscription as such, the businessman has assured in the past that Telegram’s monetization plan, in addition to advertising, will include “premium functions”. Now the details of Telegram Premium appear to have surfaced in a closed beta of the iOS app. according to the russian channel Beta Infoit will cost $4.99 per month and will provide the following improvements.
This is what Telegram Premium will offer
- Duplicate limits. Up to 1,000 channels, 20 chat folders, 10 pinned chats, 4 accounts (in one app), 200 pinned chats within a folder, 20 public links for channels and groups, 10 favorite stickers, and 400 GIFs.
- 4 GB file upload . Telegram currently allows uploading files up to 2 GB.
- More space to complete the biography. Up to 140 characters in the profile bio instead of the default 70.
- More characters in the descriptions. It will allow longer descriptions for photos and videos.
- faster downloads. No speed limit for media and document downloads.
- speech to text. Telegram Premium will offer an automatic transcription of voice messages.
- No advertising. Public channels will not have ads.
- Exclusive reactions. Additional animated reactions to messages.
- Pegatinas premium. Extended exclusive stickers with additional effects with monthly updates.
- Advanced chat management. Tools to set default folder, auto-archive and hide new chats from non-contacts.
- profile badge. A badge next to the name will show that the user supports Telegram with their subscription.
- animated profile pictures. Animated avatars in chat lists.
- Premium App Icons. Choose from a selection of Telegram app icons for your home screen.
As we can see, the advantages that Telegram Premium will apparently offer consist mainly of double the possibilities offered by the free version. Now, will they be enough for users to pay $4.99 a month? Over time we will know if Durov’s strategy achieves the expected results.
In addition, other questions may arise, such as if we will lose some features along the way or if we will have to pay for some of them. According to this leak we should not lose functions. And let’s remember that Durov promised long ago what all Telegram features that have been free should remain free. Regarding the possible arrival date of Telegram Premium, there is still no clear horizon.
In Xataka | In the future, WhatsApp and Telegram will be connected. At least if the European Union gets its way